Pilates is a system of exercises that is designed to improve physical strength, flexibility and posture, and improve your mental awareness. Here are 5 reasons why you should start doing Pilates today.
1) Improved Flexibility- The constant bending and twisting throughout the day can cause a lot of stress on your muscles and joints. However, Pilates can correct this tension, allowing you to do the things you love. A flexible muscles is a healthy muscle, and a healthy muscle can handle stressors that may lead to injury.
2) Better Sleep- A stress hormone called cortisol is released following a stressful event; it is important that cortisol levels return to normal after. Unfortunately, in our high-stress society, the stress response is activated so often that the body does not always have a chance to return to normal. Exercise “eases” these hormones, allowing you to be more focused throughout the day, and tired at night. Pilates is great, because it doesn’t wear out your muscles, so there is no soreness later on.
3) Weight Loss– If you practice Pilates regularly, you will change your body. Pilates creates long, lean muscles. It may be low-impact, but it isn’t easy. Once you have the routine down, expect to work up a light sweat. The formula for weight loss however remains the same: burn more calories than you consume. And Pilates (being a full body workout) will do exactly that.
4) Lengthens the Spine and Improves Posture- Poor posture creates a string of structural changes throughout the body that can cause pain and imbalance in the shoulders and neck. This may cause migraines, neck, and lower back pain. Pilates targets the deep postural muscles creating a strong, aligned core.
5) Mind and Body Connection- Pilates practice gives complete attention to every movement by instructing the brain to release tension, control movement and breath with precision and flow.